Sunday, February 6, 2011

Beshert

No  blog posted over the past couple of days, but that is a good thing.  We have been busy signing paperwork and staring at our daughter.  I'll never forget when my good friend Laurie brought her daughter Libby  home from the hospital, she said, "She's so beautiful I'm actually frightened I may take a bite out of her."  I thought that was a little weird at the time but now I totally get it.  If all goes according to plan, we should be home by the end of the week.  If it wasn't for this blog and Skype, I think I would have jumped off a cliff by now.  This technology is a good thing and makes me feel connected to all of you Olivia fans.  We feel so blessed to have all of you in our lives and can't wait to get home to see (most of) you!

When we were signing our paperwork at the agency, the social worker taught us a new word, beshert.  It is Yiddish for "destiny" or "meant to be."  I feel so fortunate to see this clearly.  All the pain and disappointment of the past months has pointed us here and brought Olivia into our lives.  I am asking all of you to remind me of this sentiment when Olivia is throwing a tantrum in the grocery store, or begging to have her ears pierced at age 5, or puking with the stomach flu.  :)

Thursday night Olivia got invited to her first party.  Our Indonesian landlord made satay for the Chinese New Year and invited us and our neighbors next door, Matt and Tracy (from Ft. Walton.)    It is traditional to wear red on the Chinese New year, so off to Target we went to find Olivia the perfect outfit.  Matt & Tracy are really fun, and Margie is a total trip. We laughed a lot.  Olivia enjoyed herself too.  (Who are we kidding?  She slept through the whole thing.)

Today was our first day off with the baby- our second freeway free day.  We finally got it together and left the house about 2 PM.  (Hey, it takes awhile to construct the appearance of being a "hot mom" who has the diaper bag packed with every little thing her baby may need and her own lip gloss and sunglasses.)

Our first stop was the Pacific Diner to see Vicki and the gang, as promised.  The girls oohed and ahhed over Olivia, who was sleeping, of course, and Vicki cried.  Best omelet I've ever had.  Then we cruised down to Pt. Fermin Park, one of the coolest places in San Pedro.  See video #2 below.

Tomorrow Olivia will enjoy her first Superbowl.  (Or sleep through it.)  I think she's decided to root for the Steelers.  She would have a much easier time cheering for Pittsburgh if she had a terrible towel to grasp with her little fist and swing around her little head (hint, hint, Auntie Margie Caughlan!)

All for now...









1 comment:

  1. Maybe if Olivia would have had that bitty Terrible Towel, it would have helped us yesterday! I'll be sure to work on that for next year's Super Bowl. Happy to gain another little Steelers fan. :)

    ReplyDelete